This year, Spanish Playground will host its first summer reading program to encourage and support reading and language activities in Spanish. We want kids to read and play in Spanish this summer, and start school in the fall with strong language skills. Everything is free! Register your kids or students and encourage friends to sign up to read in Spanish too!
Spanish Summer Reading Program
- The online summer reading program runs May 15 – August 1. You can learn more and register for the program here.
- The program is for children of all ages to read, or be read to, in Spanish. Kids do not have to be able to read independently to participate. Families and educators can share Spanish with kids in the way that works best for them.
- Participants receive
- A printable log for kids to record the number of books they read.
- Book-related activities and printable fun all summer long.
- Tips for parents and educators to help them make reading enjoyable and effective.
- Book lists, book reviews and author interviews throughout the summer.
- A certificate of achievement and a final digital download reward for all participants.
- Automatic entry into our giveaway of Spanish and bilingual books and music.
Reading is its own reward, but we want to recognize the effort that kids put into reading in Spanish. We also never miss an opportunity to give kids a little more language! Everyone in the summer reading program will receive a certificate of achievement and a fun digital download. All participants will also be entered automatically to win one of 5 packages of Spanish and bilingual books and music.
We hope the reading and language program helps kids enjoy Spanish all summer long and helps educators and families combat summer learning loss. Kids forget what they have learned or fall out of practice when they do not read regularly. This is especially true for language learners. It is important for children to read in their dominant language and also their second language. By reading regularly, kids can improve their reading and language skills during the summer months.
Of course, we encourage you to also participate in the summer reading program at your local library. We hope you’ll join us for the Spanish Playground Summer Reading Program. Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks!