It’s time for Spanish Summer Read and Play 2018! Last summer, over 5,000 children registered for the program and started school with stronger skills because they read and played in Spanish during the summer months. Join us to read and play again this summer.
The Spanish Summer Read and Play Program is based on the model used by public libraries. Summer is a time to explore new books, re-read old favorites and most important, enjoy reading! It is also time when children can discover new music in Spanish and have fun doing Spanish activities that build their language skills.
We will suggest books and online resources, and we will help motivate children to read and play in Spanish. Kids, with help from their families or teachers, choose books and activities that interest them. Children benefit from all exposure to Spanish! See our Spanish Summer Read and Play Program FAQ for more information.
Spanish Summer Read and Play Program
- The program is free.
- The online summer program runs May 15 – August 1. Join any time during the summer.
- The program is for children of all ages. Kids do not have to be able to read in Spanish to participate. Families and educators can read to children and share Spanish through rhymes, songs, activities and games.
- Participants receive
- A printable log for kids to color to show the number of Spanish books they have read.
- Printable challenges of easy-to-do Spanish activities.
- Spanish learning suggestions and fun all summer long.
- Tips for parents and educators to help make reading and other Spanish activities enjoyable and effective.
- Book lists and online Spanish reading resources.
- A certificate of achievement and a final digital download reward.
Reading is its own reward, but we want to recognize the effort that kids put into reading in Spanish and doing Spanish activities. In addition, we never miss an opportunity to give kids a little more language! Everyone in the summer program will receive a certificate of achievement and a fun digital download.
Sign Up for Summer Reading Program
Spanish Summer Read and Play Resources
Use these three links to discover books and activities to keep kids reading and playing in Spanish.
- Summer Read and Play Program Challenges, Logs and Certificates
- Spanish Reading Resources for Kids – Printable and online stories, activities for picture books, printable reading practice, book reviews and support for parents and teachers.
- Book Lists – Online and Print
Research shows that reading helps prevent summer learning loss. This is especially true for language learners! Children need to read in both their dominant and second languages. By reading, kids can maintain and even improve their language skills during the summer months. We encourage you to also participate in the summer reading program at your local library.