If you are looking for a fun language activity or a Spanish story for kids, this picture book is a wonderful choice. Buenas noches, Mundo Animalis by Giselle Shardlow of Kids Yoga Stories. Yoga poses are woven into the narrative and illustrated on the page, so that children do the poses as they listen. The combination of movement, a pattern story, and simple language make Buenas noches, Mundo Animal perfect for children learning Spanish. This Spanish story would make an excellent end-of-the-year activity for a class or a fun summer bedtime routine to keep kids engaged with the language.
Books by Kids Yoga Stories are available in both English and Spanish. The Spanish editions are some of my favorite language learning activities. Read more about yoga and language learning. You can find Buenas noches, Mundo Animal on Amazon or on Kids Yoga Stories.
Spanish Story for Language Learners
These are a few of the reasons Buenas noches, Mundo Animal is a fun and effective Spanish story for children learning the language:
– Close text-to-illustration correspondence, so that children can understand new Spanish words from the pictures.
– Limited amount of text on each page.
– The text follows a pattern, making it easy for children to predict the language.
– The last line is the same on each page, so children can join in saying goodnight to each animal.
– Each animal is mentioned first in the sentence, with a description of how it fits into its surroundings. For example, La mariposa está flotando sobre las flores rosas. Buenas noches, Mariposa or El Águila está posada en un pino. Buenas noches, Águila. This structure introduces vocabulary related to habitats and plants: bosque, arena, ramas, hierba, flores, nido.
– Each animal in the Spanish story is associated with a different verb that is reinforced by the illustration and the yoga pose, for example, extender, posar, saltar, agazapar, flotar, sentar, envolver, estirar.
– Doing yoga poses as they hear the Spanish story, children process the language at a deeper level than if they are just listening.
– The book includes a map in Spanish which shows where the different animals in the story live. Talking about the continents and countries is an excellent extension activity for language learners.
– Yoga is fun! Kids stay engaged with the story and the language as they act out the animals.
Be sure to check out the many yoga sequences and activities on Kids Yoga Stories. They all incorporate language and movement in a meaningful context and make excellent Spanish learning activities.
Disclosure: The company sent me a copy of this book to be able to write the article. All of the ideas and opinions are my own.