Kids can practice Spanish days of the week, months and numbers with this online activity. It is simple, but excellent for Spanish language learners. It teaches (or reinforces) several important aspects of Spanish language including:
– the days of the week are written with lower case letters in Spanish.
– the months are written with lower case letters in Spanish.
– the week on Spanish language calenders starts on Monday.
– the days of the week are masculine.
– the word día is masculine.
– the word mes is masculine.
– the date is expressed with the day first, then the month (and then the year) in Spanish.
Description: Online game to teach Spanish days of the week and months
The game shows a Spanish language calender. Players can change the month on the calender by clicking on the blue box that says Eligir mes.
The activity gives players two sentences that they need to complete. The sentences always have the same structure. The month and the date change. For example:
El mes de junio tiene ___ días.
El día 3 de junio es un ____.
Players first change the calendar to the month mentioned in the sentences. The calendar will be set to enero (January) with each new exercise, so kids scroll through the months in order.
Players check the number of days in the month and complete the sentence with the correct number.
The second sentence states what day of the week a certain date will be. Again, students should find the answer and complete the sentence with the correct day.
When they have completed both sentences, students click Comprobación to check their work. If the answer is correct, the words muy bien will flash, and they can click Nuevo ejercicio to get new sentences. If nothing happens, they need to change one or both of the answers.
Tips: Using the online game to teach Spanish days and months
– Encourage kids to say the months aloud as they scroll through to find the one they need.
– Encourage kids to read the entire sentence aloud as they complete it. These are very natural, correct structures and the more they say them, the better.
– The days of the week on the calendar are indicated by the first letter, as they are on many Spanish language calendars. You may want to have the days of the week in Spanish where kids can see them. Even if they know the days in Spanish, having a list will reinforce the vocabulary and does not take away from the learning process: lunes, martes, miércoles, jueves, viernes, sábado, domingo.
– You may want to have the pronunciation of the Spanish days and Spanish months available in another window.
Link to online activity to teach Spanish days of the week and months
Online activity – Spanish days of the week and months
To begin the game, click Iniciar Juego.
You may also be interested in these posts with material for teaching the days of the week in Spanish:
Free Activity Book for teaching children Spanish
Questions and games to practice numbers and the days of the week in Spanish