iPad apps for kids provide fun ways to practice a language. Gus on the Go is an app for learning and practicing basic Spanish words. Toojuice makes the app and it is available in the iTunes store.
With Gus on the Go, kids learn individual words by playing with a colorful, interactive screen. When they master the words, they use the vocabulary in games, reinforcing what they have learned.
Gus on the Go groups words by thematic units. For example, you’ll find Animals, Food, Clothes, Transportation, Parts of the Body, Numbers, Shapes, Colors.
These are a few of the features that I like best about this iPad app for kids:
– Each unit presents a limited number of words, so that children can master them.
– The audio is clear and natural. It is easy for kids to understand and repeat.
– The games in each lesson re-enter the words from previous lessons.
– The graphics are colorful and clear. When children hear the word in Spanish, they can tell from the picture what it means. Unfortunately, this is not true of all iPad apps for kids or other language learning materials!
– In all the games, the players match audio to pictures, but the game for each lesson is slightly different. This provides variety and helps holds kids’ interest.
– All of the activities work well for children who do not read yet because they have audio. In addition, kids see the written word on the screen, so it’s great for beginning readers.
– There are no ads or in-app purchases.
Language Learning with Gus on the Go
This application is an introduction to common Spanish words. It is also a useful review of beginning vocabulary for children who are already learning Spanish.
Parents should be aware, however, the words are in sentences or in context. Teachers and parents who speak Spanish can make the most of this application by using the words naturally, in complete sentences. For example, they can describe and comment on the pictures or ask simple questions: El tren es rojo. ¿Ves el camión? ¿Dónde está el autobús? Sí, ¡allí está!
Gus on the Go introduces children to basic Spanish words with clear native-speaker audio. It is a fun way to start to learn Spanish and a useful vocabulary review for kids who have already started the language learning journey.
Disclosure: The company sent me a copy of this product to be able to write the article. All of the ideas and opinions are my own.