Encuentra los animales is a printable Go Fish Spanish game to practice animals, places and verbs. Players look for animals in different “places” assigned to the people playing. It’s a low-stress, entertaining way to engage with language.
The summer and fall of 2020 are going to introduce new challenges for families and teachers. In an effort to continue to offer fun ways to learn Spanish, we’ve made Encuentra los animales a free download.
Each player has a place indicated by a drawing. It’s a Go Fish Spanish game, so players ask for animal cards at the different places, trying to make sets of 4 cards. If the place they ask doesn’t have the animal they are looking for – Go look on the farm!
The free PDF includes:
- 5 place markers – el campo, el bosque, la ciudad, las montañas, la playa (for up to 5 players).
- 10 animal cards (print 4 for a total of 40) – el gato, el perro, la vaca, el caballo, la oveja, la gallina, el gallo, el pájaro, el cerdo, el pato
- La granja – center board for the draw pile.
- Detailed instructions and language suggestions.
For more specific vocabulary activities, check out all our Spanish vocabulary games grouped by theme. We also have game videos like this Guess the Animal Word Game on the Spanish Playground YouTube channel.
Download the game at the link below.
Encuentra los animales
- Is easy to learn because it is based on the rules of Go Fish and players transfer the rules to this Spanish game.
- Teaches basic language structures used in everyday conversation. These structures can be applied to a wide range of vocabulary and contexts.
- Provides lots of opportunity for all players to speak Spanish.
- Provides for natural repetition.
- Has original artwork to support the vocabulary.
- Can be played with limited verb forms and simple structures or adapted to more complicated language.
- Can be played by up to 5 players – perfect for group work or family fun.
- Has all the strategy and fun kids love in card games.
Spanish Vocabulary in Go Fish Game
Basic play uses hay or estar and buscar. Players at a higher level can use many other verbs.
el gato, el perro, la vaca, el caballo, la oveja, la gallina, el gallo, el pájaro, el cerdo, el pato
el campo, el bosque, la ciudad, las montañas, la playa
Additional Language in the Go Fish Game
To ask for cards, players use the verbs hay or estar in yes-no questions:
¿Hay vacas en las montañas? or ¿Las vacas están en las montañas?
To give up cards, players answer with hay or estar.
Sí, hay dos vacas en las montañas. or Sí, dos vacas están en las montañas.
To say they have no cards and the player has to draw, players use the verb buscar.
No. Busca las vacas en la granja.
Adding More Language
You can also play this Spanish game for kids with different tenses and structures.
To ask for cards, players can use a variety of verbs in different tenses.
¿Las vacas se esconden en las montañas?
¿Las vacas se escondieron en las montañas?
¿Has visto las vacas en las montañas?
Es posible que las vacas estén en las montañas.
To give up cards, players can use the same verb tenses.
No, las vacas no se esconden en las montañas.
Sí, dos vacas se escondieron en las montañas.
Sí, he visto una vaca en las montañas.
Players can also practice direct object pronouns when they answer.
No, búscalas en la granja.
Las vacas no se escondieron en las montañas. Búscalas en la granja.
In addition, players can add their own comments about the animals and the places. There is plenty of opportunity for spontaneous language in an entertaining, familiar structure.
Get the Go Fish Spanish Game
Download Encuentra los animales.
Use this Go Fish Spanish game to learn language and have a good time with family or friends this summer. Encuentra los animales is a low-stress way to get in Spanish practice playing a game all levels and ages will enjoy.