Are you looking for Spanish resources to use with kids this summer? Or maybe thinking about fall and how to spend less time preparing classes? Be sure to check out 9letras. 9letras is a blog by Alberto Abarca Fillat of Huesca, Spain. Alberto shares his free elementary Spanish resources, and his website has a huge number of printable activities for young Spanish learners.
I love this website because many of the activities have pictures to help Spanish learners understand the language. Some of these are designed for beginning readers, but they can be used with children who do not read yet, if you do them orally. All of these printables are Word documents. They are easy to adapt to your needs.
Highlights of 9letras Elementary Spanish Resources
- Tarjetas, or picture cards, for vocabulary in different categories. Vocabulary picture cards and activities for these common elementary Spanish units:
COSAS DE CASA / Household objects
ANIMALES / Animals
COCINA / Kitchen ( 2 sets of cards and activities)
COSAS DE CLASE / Classroom objects
COMIDAS / Food
VERBOS / Verbs ( 2 sets of cards and activities)
VESTIDOS / Clothes
LA CALLE / The street
FRUTAS / Fruit
CUANDO / When
CUERPO / Body (3 sets of cards and activities)
- Vocabulario nivel 1has many categories. Vocabulary is presented with images, labeled and followed by activities such as matching the words to a picture, labeling a picture and completing the word. I have used Contrarios, which presents prepositions as opposite pairs. There is a set of cards with an image and a phrase describing the image. It is followed by a set of cards with the same picture and phrase, but with the key word missing. Once children are familiar with the vocabulary, the second set is great for all kinds of games.
- Practice with three levels of vocabulary, verbs, and reading comprehension.
- Dozens of activities with basic vocabulary and pictures.
- Documents titled Frases INF6 – Frases INF20 for beginning readers include four different activities supported by pictures. Kids copy a short phrase associated with an image, match the phrase to the picture, complete the phrase with the missing word, and finally put the words in order.
- Activities for individual letters
- Power point presentations to practice reading skills
- Complete set of vocabulary that the author uses in his elementary Spanish classes. To see the list, click on the link Vocabulario Básico.
- Power Point presentations with the vocabulary game Encadena where you make a chain by associating words.
- Power Points to teach vocabulary.
9letras has tons of material for elementary Spanish learners. You will have to explore to find what is helpful to you. I am sure you will find material that you can adapt and use in your Spanish classes or at home with children learning Spanish.