Join us to read and play in Spanish this summer! Register below for the 2017 Spanish Summer Reading program. Our goal is to keep kids reading, hearing and using Spanish so they start school with stronger skills in the fall. Registration begins May 15!
The Spanish Summer Read and Play Program is based on the model used by public libraries. Summer is a time to explore new books, re-read old favorites and most important, enjoy reading! It is also time when children can discover new music in Spanish and have fun doing Spanish activities that build their language skills.
We will suggest books and online resources, and we will help motivate children to read and play in Spanish. Kids, with help from their families or teachers, choose books and activities that interest them. Children benefit from all exposure to Spanish! See our Spanish Summer Read and Play Program FAQ for more information.
Spanish Summer Reading Program
- The program is free.
- The online summer program runs May 15 – August 1. Join any time during the summer.
- The program is for children of all ages. Kids do not have to be able to read in Spanish to participate. Families and educators can read to children and share Spanish through rhymes, songs, activities and games.
- Participants receive
- A printable log for kids to color to show the number of Spanish books they have read.
- Spanish activities and fun all summer long.
- Tips for parents and educators to help make reading and other Spanish activities enjoyable and effective.
- Book lists and online Spanish resources.
- A certificate of achievement and a final digital download reward.
- Automatic entry into our giveaway of Spanish and bilingual books, music and games.
Reading is its own reward, but we want to recognize the effort that kids put into reading in Spanish and doing Spanish activities. In addition, we never miss an opportunity to give kids a little more language! Everyone in the summer program will receive a certificate of achievement and a fun digital download. All participants will also be entered automatically to win one of 5 packages of Spanish and bilingual books, music and games.
Spanish Summer Read and Play Resources
Find books and activities to keep kids reading, listening to songs, and playing in Spanish.
Research shows that reading helps prevent summer learning loss. This is especially true for language learners! Children need to read in both their dominant and second languages. By reading, kids can maintain and even improve their language skills during the summer months. We encourage you to also participate in the summer reading program at your local library.
Spanish Summer Reading Program Team
Carolyn Vidmar is the Summer Reading Program Coordinator. She has a Masters degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Library & Information Studies. Now a public librarian in Wisconsin, Carolyn has worked for several libraries and nonprofit organizations, including the Cooperative Children’s Book Center in Madison, Wisconsin. She is an active member of the Young Adult Library Services Association and a member of the Read On Wisconsin Advisory Board, a statewide literacy program that partners with schools and libraries to promote quality literature for children and teens.
Anthony D. Robinson is a graphic artist based in Madison, Wisconsin. He is the talent behind our mascot and other summer reading program materials. You can find his work at https://adrobinson.carbonmade.com.