I have recently had the pleasure of working with Calico Spanish Homeschool Learning Series Level A. What a great program! I am so pleased to be able to share this homeschool Spanish curriculum with you. You can learn more about the curriculum on the Calico Spanish website.
Designing a good homeschool Spanish curriculum is very difficult. The content has to be engaging and effective. It also must be presented and structured in a way that parents who are not familiar with the language can successfully teach their children.
In other words, designing a quality homeschool Spanish curriculum means building into the materials much of what an experienced teacher does in Spanish in the classroom. That is a complicated task! Calico Spanish has created a wonderful homeschool Spanish program that does exactly that and also makes learning Spanish lots of fun.
You can try Calico Spanish by signing up for a free sample lesson – material and lesson plans for 10 days of class – from Level A of their homeschool curriculum. If you are looking for programs to teach your children Spanish, this is an excellent place to start.
Calico Spanish is also getting ready to release Level B of the Spanish Homeschool Learning Series on June 1, 2015. They are working on 3 subsequent levels of the program as well, so there will be 5 levels of homeschool learning materials available.
Children really learn Spanish with this curriculum because:
- The material is carefully selected and structured so that children have enough exposure to master it. There are lots of fun, engaging activities so kids can practice again and again.
- Vocabulary and structures are repeated in meaningful contexts and spiraled through the program. Kids learn lots of Spanish! Rather than overwhelm kids, Calico homeschool Spanish makes sure they retain what they learn and can use Spanish to communicate.
- With these materials, kids understand and learn Spanish because there is a logical context and great pictures. With this comprehensible input, kids learn by associating sound with meaning. This is much more effective than only translating from English.
- Spanish is used in full sentences and natural conversations. Kids do not simply label pictures. Instead, with this homeschool Spanish program they learn to understand and communicate information.
- Kids hear lots of native speaker audio. This audio is designed to make it easy for children to absorb and reproduce the sounds of Spanish. With Calico Spanish, they acquire correct pronunciation.
Favorite Features of Homeschool Spanish by Calico
You can read all about the homeschool Spanish curriculum on the Calico website. Here, I’ll highlight my favorite features of the materials.
The teacher’s guide is a fabulously useable set of lesson plans! It has complete, detailed plans to teach 89 days of Spanish class in a very easy-to-read (easy-to-teach-from!) format.
In the student activity book, kids practice writing in Spanish. There is lots of repetition of each of the basic structures they are practicing. I love that everything they write is a full sentence.
The story books are perfect. These sturdy little books provide the comprehensible input kids need to understand new language. The stories are great for then asking questions so kids use the language.
The songs teach language and culture, but they are also pretty, singable music. My favorite is La lluvia. It’s just darling!
The video stories and dialogs create a controlled immersion experience. These videos are carefully designed so that kids really understand what they hear. The program then provides enough repetition for kids to be able to speak Spanish.
There are additional materials in the curriculum, and you can find supplemental resources at CalicoSpanish.com. I am sure you and your kids will find your own favorite parts of this program. There is a lot to love in the Calico Spanish Homeschool Learning Series.
Disclosure: The company sent me a copy of this product to be able to write the article. I may have been compensated for my time. All of the ideas and opinions are my own.